A new version of GPSSerial (version 1.4.1) is available now from the Orange Gadgets website here.
Note: GPSSerial (version 1.4.1) that is currently on Cydia is not working correctly, so please follow the link above instead and install the new version manually. Make sure to first remove the old GPSSerial package completely and reboot your device as outlined in the above link.
Version 1.4.1 of GPSSerial has quite a few bug fixes and upgrades to it:
- The new version allows multiple CoreLocationManagers to access the external GPS module. GPSSerial will route GPS data to each of them. Certain AppStore apps instance multiple CoreLocationManagers which sometimes caused problems with the older GPSSerial (version 1.3.x). This has been resolved now so a lot more AppStore apps will work correctly with GPSSerial.
- The new version allows multiple applications to run simultaneously and GPSSerial will route GPS data to each of them from the external GPS module.
- On iOS4, you can have multiple apps running without having to fully close them before switching to the next location aware app.
- On firmware 3.x, you can install Backgrounder through Cydia and also run multiple location aware apps at the same time.
- Apple's built-in Maps.app functions correctly on both firmware 3.x and iOS4.
- If you switch the settings in the GPSSerial user interface from e.g. iGPS360 to iPhone GPS, GPSSerial will switch from the external GPS module (in this case the iGPS360) to your iPhone's built-in GPS or if you don't have a built-in GPS (e.g. if you are on an iPod touch or an iPad WiFi only), it will use WiFi triangulation and forward that to the running application.
The above upgrades and bug fixes have taken up a great many hours and they would not have been possible without the feedback of all of you.
Try out the new version and post your feedback in the comments or visit the xGPS forum here.