I have finally had time to shoot a live video of the working GPS module. Enjoy!
Link for iPhone and iTouch users here.
The software that is used to interact with the module is written by Simba. You can visit his blog here. We have joined forces to speed up the progress of the project.
Here are some of the features of the software:
- Compass screen:
- Your location: latitude and longitude
- Dashboard: heading, speed, distance to target, bearing
- Satellite screen:
- Locked satellites used in GPS location (green)
- Other satellites in view but not used in GPS location (grey)
- Maps button:
- You can upload your own maps to the Google Maps app in case you are not on a network.
- For more information on this, you can visit this thread.
- Points button:
- This sets your travel destination point. It uses your Maps app bookmarks.
- While driving, the distance to this target is displayed on the compass screen.
- The yellow arrow on the compass indicates the direction you should take to get to this target.
- View on map button:
- This will launch the Google Map app and drop a pin "I am here" at your current location.
- If you are not on a network, you will need to have uploaded a map of your local area to your phone (see above).
- All credit for the software goes to Simba. The only thing I did was test-drive the software with the GPS module. I found a few minor bugs which he has already fixed.
- I did design a new iPhone icon for his software. The icon is a composition from two other icons designed by Studiomx:
The icons are licensed under the Linkware license.
Please leave your feedback, comments and encouragements!